Sunday, October 28, 2007

Humility

I'm starting to recognize that my understanding of humility is incorrect... I've lived my life with the perspective that humility is putting others above yourself. Don't get me wrong, that IS part of humility. But that is moral humility rather than Biblical humility. True humility is so much more... it is keeping God on the Throne -- keeping Him above myself! Too often I put others above myself, all the while taking God off the Throne of my life and putting myself on it. I help and assist others in my own power and strength... doing and saying what I think is best... instead of looking to God for His power, strength, and direction. Sometimes what I do for others is not what God would have me do... it's for my personal glory. Lord, forgive me! Help me to keep You on the Throne so that I can allow You to work in and through me.

"For this is what the high and loft One says - he who lives forever, whose name is holy: 'I live in a high and holy place, but also with him who is contrite and lowly in spirit, to revive the spirit of the lowly and to revive the heart of the contrite'" (Isaiah 57:15).

"We must learn of Jesus, how He is meek and lowly of heart. He teaches us where true humility takes its rise and finds its strength: in the knowledge that it is God who worketh all in all, and that our place is to yield to Him in perfect resignation and dependence - in full consent to be and to do nothing of ourselves. The is the life Christ came to reveal and to impart - a life to God that came through death to sin and self. If we feel that this life is too high for us and beyond our reach, this insight must but the more urge us to seek it in Him - for it is the indwelling Christ who will live in us this life, meek and lowly. If we long for this, let us, meanwhile, above everything, seek the holy secret of the knowledge of the nature of God, as He every moment works all in all - the secret, of which all nature and every creature, and above all, every child of God, is to be the witness: that is nothing but a vessel, a channel, through which the living God can manifest the riches of His wisdom, power, and goodness. The root of all virtue and grace, of all faith and acceptable worship, is that we know that we have nothing but what we receive, and bow in deepest humility to wait upon God for it."
Andrew Murray in Humility

No comments: